Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Xtreme 124HP (9mm) using Alliant BE-86

Received some of these 124gn HP bullets from Wes from X-Treme and after looking at the "web" found out a lot of people were using Power Pistol for a bunch of 9mm loads but also found out that because of the muzzle flash from Power Pistol a lot of people were starting to use Alliant BE-86 as it's about the same burn rate and has a flash suppressant so I bought a pound to try it out. Alliant shows MAX of 5.9gn with a OAL of 1.12 with a start of -10% or around 5.3.

I also saw several out there were using loads as low as 4.7 with good results so I loaded a ladder of 4.6, 4.8, 5.0, 5.2, 5.4 and 5.6 for my Springfield XDM with a 5.25" barrel and took them to the range today. I am using an OAL of 1.11 as the X-Treme 124's were hitting the lands at 1.133 and I usually start off with a .020 safety margin.

1st 2 loads at 4.6 and 4.8gns of BE-86 I threw out as patterns were random and the cases were very sooty from not sealing up.

5.0 through 5.6gns looked very promising but still wondering if I should try up to the MAX end for best performance.

Has anyone else used the Xtreme 124gn bullets with BE-86 and if so what was the best combination and was it at the higher end?

Here's some pic's of the 5 shot groups @ 25' off a sandbag.
    5.0.JPG5.2.JPG5.4.JPG5.6.JPG

Title
    Premium Member
    Good shooting bud. I use power pistol and have BE-86, but have not tried it. I just may load some up with 124 gr gold dots
    Quote Originally Posted by Wm Dunn View Post
    Received some of these 124gn HP bullets from Wes from X-Treme and after looking at the "web" found out a lot of people were using Power Pistol for a bunch of 9mm loads but also found out that because of the muzzle flash from Power Pistol a lot of people were starting to use Alliant BE-86 as it's about the same burn rate and has a flash suppressant so I bought a pound to try it out. Alliant shows MAX of 5.9gn with a OAL of 1.12 with a start of -10% or around 5.3.

I also saw several out there were using loads as low as 4.7 with good results so I loaded a ladder of 4.6, 4.8, 5.0, 5.2, 5.4 and 5.6 for my Springfield XDM with a 5.25" barrel and took them to the range today. I am using an OAL of 1.11 as the X-Treme 124's were hitting the lands at 1.133 and I usually start off with a .020 safety margin.

1st 2 loads at 4.6 and 4.8gns of BE-86 I threw out as patterns were random and the cases were very sooty from not sealing up.

5.0 through 5.6gns looked very promising but still wondering if I should try up to the MAX end for best performance.

Has anyone else used the Xtreme 124gn bullets with BE-86 and if so what was the best combination and was it at the higher end?

Here's some pic's of the 5 shot groups @ 25' off a sandbag.
    5.0.JPG5.2.JPG5.4.JPG5.6.JPG
    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Wife and I went to the range yesterday and I'd loaded up 100 rounds at 5.1gns of BE-86 with the 124gr Xtreme HP. Seemed to be a good accurate round on the steel out to 40yds. I may try the higher end of the load later but these are quite easy to shoot.

Just hope they stay in business so i can get more of their bullets.

Title
    Premium Member
    My experience with BE-86 in all of my various 9mm loads (115 and 124gr bullets, both plated and FMJ) is that it likes to be run closer to the top end. My accuracy always increased as my charges went up. I'm currently at 5.4gr using various 124gr plated or FMJ bullets (all from Rocky Mountain Reloading). I do have some Xtreme that I'll eventually try, but for now, I'm staying with 5.4gr of BE-86 for my 9mm.

The above is for both my G19 and Shield 9mm, so different barrel lengths: both pistols like this load.
    disciplejourney.com

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkDisciplinare View Post
    My experience with BE-86 in all of my various 9mm loads (115 and 124gr bullets, both plated and FMJ) is that it likes to be run closer to the top end. My accuracy always increased as my charges went up. I'm currently at 5.4gr using various 124gr plated or FMJ bullets (all from Rocky Mountain Reloading). I do have some Xtreme that I'll eventually try, but for now, I'm staying with 5.4gr of BE-86 for my 9mm.

The above is for both my G19 and Shield 9mm, so different barrel lengths: both pistols like this load.
    Interesting, What's the coal that you are using with the RMR 124gn? I just got in my 1st shipment of their new 124gn MPR JHP and on my Springfield 5.25 XDM competition I was touching lands at around 1.080 so I backed off .02 and loaded them with a coal of 1.06 and at 5.3gn of BE-86 the primers were getting real flat so I didn't even shoot the 5.4gn BE-86 test rounds.

It could be the primers as well as I've been using mostly CCI and Federal but lately the only thing I could find close by was Winchester WSP's that I hadn't used before and I'm thinking they are softer and show up pressure signs way before the other primers. The Alliant site shows max at 5.9gn with a 124JHP using a coal of 1.12 so 5.3gns of BE-86 seems way low to be seeing flat primers.

Title
    Premium Member
    I've not loaded up any of the new(er) 124gr MPR rounds yet, but I'll PM you some info. from others that have done that with an XD9.

For my 124gr RN loads, I'm running them around 1.13.

Your 5.3gr may be a bit hot when the OAL is only 1.06, that's a bit deep so the pressure will increase... Check your Inbox.
    disciplejourney.com

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkDisciplinare View Post
    I've not loaded up any of the new(er) 124gr MPR rounds yet, but I'll PM you some info. from others that have done that with an XD9.

For my 124gr RN loads, I'm running them around 1.13.

Your 5.3gr may be a bit hot when the OAL is only 1.06, that's a bit deep so the pressure will increase... Check your Inbox.
    After looking at that post you're 100% correct as my XD9 has the short leade as well. It was interesting that my accuracy node range with the 124gn RMR was also 4.9 to 5.1 gns of BE-86. The best group so far is 5/8" at 25' with 5.0 gn.

Small 9mm cartridges build up pressure quick so thanks for the heads-up.